Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Our late Bibik Kiah

During the past raya holidays, my maid asked me if her nocturia was any alarming symptoms of any disease, I asked her back, how bad was it? She claimed that from once a night, it became two. I probed for more diabetic symptoms, she denied them all. In fact, she's been on 'strict diet' (or so she claimed) since she's afraid of having the DM like her other family members. I also asked for her last sugar level reading, it was during the medical check up somewhere in April or May, doctor told her everything's ok.


I said, then, no worries lah.

Probably it's nothing.


She started having quite severe fever for several days, my ummi took her to GP twice, but nothing on DM. She didn't resolve....


Today (14th october, 2009), my ummi asked her again about her fever, she said it's getting better. At about 11 am, my brother noticed her to be lying down on her bed, eyes closed. 'Maybe she's asleep out of tiredness,' he thought. But then, her breathing was not like usual. 'Probably nothing....' but he called up my mother and told everything, but since she can only come back home at 230 pm and probably she is sleeping...nothing alarming, we thought.


Ummi came home 3 hours later only to find out that she's already unconscious. She was rushed to HUSM (5-minute drive)...Sugar level was 28.6 mmol/L (DAMN HIGH!!!) ....induced some more coma for her to have enough rest, put under artificial ventilator, continuous vitals monitoring, RT tube n all the gadgets....and admitted to usual ward.

But she survived only until 11 pm just now.......


A known case of DM for few years, with strong family history of DM as well. She's not on any medications, and what makes us even sadder, she hid the illness until the day she die......

somehow I blame myself.....for not being a lil bit more 'aggressive and overly sensitive'......

Alfatihah buat Bibik Kiah, the most wonderful maid we've ever had.........

2 comments:

  1. funny how she got away from fomema without any DM meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. corrected COD : septicaemic shock secondary to infective diarrhoea with concurrent DKA

    [sop] that part was a bit suspicious as well....

    ReplyDelete

orang lain kate ape